Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spinach Madeleine Pizza

I tried something new for our Friday night pizza. My original idea was a white pizza with spinach, but when it was time to start cooking I just wasn't in the mood. I thought about making Alfredo Ranch Pizza with spinach instead of chicken and bacon, but that just made me wish for bacon so I changed my mind. Then it hit me. Why not make a pizza out of Spinach Madeleine?

I meant to take a picture, but it smelled so good we gobbled it without a thought of the camera. Yeah, it was that good.

Spinach Madeleine Pizza

1 batch thin pizza crust dough (I use half whole wheat flour)
3 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
1 Tbs finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1/2 c. whole milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder

4 oz fresh spinach
a pinch of cayenne pepper
a generous dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 1/2 c. grated mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 500°F. Cook fresh spinach over medium high heat in a large dry non-stick skillet with a pinch of salt until completely wilted, about 4 minutes, remove from pan and chop fine. 

Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, until blended but not brown, about 1 minute. Add onions and jalapeno, cook until soft but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add milk very slowly, stirring constantly, to avoid lumps. Cook until smooth and thick, about 30 seconds. Add salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce and cheddar cheese. Stir until melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach back to skillet and stir to completely blend.


Spread evenly over prepared pizza crust, top with mozzarella cheese, and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust looks golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment